Ed Maximus is a Haitian-born visual artist and photographer on a mission to capture the human essence through his art. To achieve such a monumental task, he creates his work by weaving through the fashion and fine-art world while maintaining a timeless vision. His agnostic approach toward art-making allows him to see every subject with a unique set of lenses.
Maximus treats his practice as an ongoing conversation focusing on unraveling our essence from the complex protective layers that we built over the years of our earthly existence. He seeks to construct a safe space, within his work, that allows one’s true self to roam freely and be immortalized as art. His acclaimed series For Colored Girls and Anatomy of Emotions serve as the perfect representations of this vision.
Maximus’ work has been featured in several prestigious publications including Vogue Italia, Elle, and Essence Magazine. Between 2016 and 2017, he self-published two monographs based on For Colored Girls and Anatomy of Emotions. In 2018, he had his first solo exhibition featuring his series, For Colored Girls. Currently, he is working on expanding that through painted medium and art installations.
Selected Clients & Publications
Allure Magazine | Carol's Daughter | Elle Indonesia | Elle US | Elle Serbia | Essence Magazine | InStyle Magazine | L’Officiel Singapore | L’Opera Magazine | Melissa Shoes | MM LaFleur | SchÖn Magazine | Vogue Italia
Exhibitions & Features
- BLACK ART MATTERS by photoINTERNATIONAL, Group, Zurich, Switzerland
- See In Black, Group, New York City, USA
- Who Owns Black Art?, Group, Zeal Press, Miami USA
- Boiling Point, Group, Superposition Gallery, Los Angeles USA
- CMY=K, Group, Superposition Gallery, Los Angeles USA
- For Colored Girls, Solo, Holyrad Studio, New York USA
- Fine Art Show, Group, Blank Wall Gallery, Athens Greece
- Exit Light, Group, Picture Farm Pro, New York USA
For Colored Girls, Self-Published, 126 pages, Hard Cover (2017)
Anatomy of Emotions, Self-Published, 128 pages, Hard Cover (2016)